Why We Don't Use Biocide

There are dozens of "Mold Killing Products" on the market.  Of course, there is still the belief that bleach can be used to kill mold.  That approach is highly overrated because bleach isn't effective at killing the roots of the mold.  Then, there are products customers can buy at Home Depot or Menards that are pretty good, but not a full cure.  Treating mold topically is somewhat light treating cancer with a salve applied the skin.

Mold can be a complex issue.  The biggest question is know why the mold happened in the first place, and how far the damage has gone.  Very often, the mold you can see is worse in places you cannot see.  

Mold happens because water got in.  So, just treating the mold you see is mostly useless.  Spraying it is a short-term solution.  And, setting off a "Biocide Bomb" can be ineffective.

Finally, is the mold cure making the indoor air quality worse?  That is why we always use eco-safe products that actually improve the indoor air quality.  We avoid the kind of products that can kill mold (maybe) but add nsty chemicals to your home or office.

Many mold-killing product use some form of chlorine (bleach-like) ingredients.  For this reason, they are dangeorusly corrosive and bad for the person doing the application or those who live there afterwards.

Sodium hydroxide is the main ingredient in Biocide.  Here is what the MSDS for sodium hydroxide says:

Potential Acute Health Effects:

Very hazardous in case of skin contact (corrosive, irritant, permeator), of eye contact (irritant, corrosive), of ingestion, of inhalation. The amount of tissue damage depends on length of contact. Eye contact can result in corneal damage or blindness. Skin contact can produce inflammation and blistering. Inhalation of dust will produce irritation to gastro-intestinal or respiratory tract, characterized by burning, sneezing and coughing. Severe over-exposure can produce lung damage, choking, unconsciousness or death. Inflammation of the eye is characterized by redness, watering, and itching. Skin inflammation is characterized by itching, scaling, reddening, or, occasionally, blistering.

Potential Chronic Health Effects:

CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Not available. The substance is toxic to lungs. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage. Repeated exposure of the eyes to a low level of dust can produce eye irritation. Repeated skin exposure can produce local skin destruction, or dermatitis. Repeated inhalation of dust can produce varying degree of respiratory irritation or lung damage.

But, the ingredient is one concerning aspect.  If a customer doesn't understand that the problem is not solved topically, the mold will always come back.  It always pays to have a professional assess and guide the mold remediation.  Your health is always a top priority.