Mold In the Basement - Joliet
It is helpful to know is that most basements will smell like mold or mildew because they tend to be more humid and have a lot of available paper and wood that mildew really likes.
Here are some good ideas to reduce the "Mold and Mild Smell in your basement:
- Always run a dehumidifier in the basement. It helps if there is a tap for a hose to run into the floor drain.
- Replace your cardboard boxes with plastic bins. Cardboard is an excellent food source for mold and mildew
- Keep wood off the floor.
- Throw stuff out, and be aggressive. Accumulated clutter can help mold and mildew find a nice hidden place to grow.
- Change the furnace filter every 90 days
- Throw out anything that gets moldy
- Get a back up system for your sump pump. Water will turn your valuables into trash with just a few inches of water.
We get numerous calls from people with "Musty Mildew Smells" in the basement. It is a good idea to have a professional mold inspector take a look at the whole house, including basement and attic at some point. Finding mold early is finding mold once it is started to spread and destroy wood. Give us a call, it is a $99 investment in the health of your family and your house.